Wednesday 8 June 2016

#30dayswild day 6 & 7 - friends, sun and Museum Gardens

Day 6

Today I got my copy of How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff and I also had some rare free time so I decided to spend some time appreciating my garden and reading my book. I only ordered How I Live Now because I saw an article in the Guardian about Meg Rosoff condemning UK education policy as an 'assault on childhood' - what a woman!!



Here are the views I got to see whilst I was reading the book.

It was great to spend some time enjoying a book and stopping occasionally to enjoy my garden was a bonus.

This is one of the things I am loving about the #30dayswild challenge - it has made me slow down and actually observe myself  (needing to take some time for me and finding the space to do that) and it has made me think about my surroundings whether when walking, in my house, in my garden, etc.  

Later when I had a friend over I shared some Sweet Cicely with her - again something I might not have thought to do without the #30dayswild challenge. I am gaining knowledge and I want to share it with people. She loved the pods.

Whilst we were sitting outside I decided to have a got at my now dry nettle stems and started splitting them into 4 strands. It was not as easy as I had hoped and took longer than I thought but I managed to get some strands done.


I did a few more when she was gone whilst my husband finished carving a spatula with one of our new knives mentioned in the Bushcraft Show blog post here. I then finished the book and highly, highly recommend it to EVERYONE. It was a fantastic book to read as part of the #30dayswild challenge because there was food foraging, wild camping, river swimming and other wild activities.

Day 7
Knowing that I was going to be spending most of the day in York so that my dd could attend her drama class at the York Theatre Royal I decided to again spend some time noticing the nature that is in York.

It wasn't difficult to find some lovely nature throughout the bits of York I visited. We are very lucky to have the River Ouse running through the centre of the City which is always lovely to walk along or look at.

Quite often recently there has been a bird of prey place in the Museum Gardens and they had lost one of the new additions. It had a great time looking around and exploring.

I took the picture to the right with my phone before I remembered that I had brought my Samsung WB250F camera with me.

I got these other pictures with that camera and you can see the difference!!

I am trying to get better at using my camera so again the #30dayswild has again helped me to practice with the photography skills which is always easier if I remember to take my camera AND I remember to use it!!

After drama the children always like to spend some time in the Museum Gardens.




This gives us parents a chance to catch up with each other and it gave me a chance to get some pictures of us all connecting with and enjoying nature.


It was fantastic as always seeing the children running around playing together and we had decided to visit a different part of the Museum Gardens.

I sampled a coffee from the No8 Pavilion Pop Up Cafe and also enjoyed briefly visiting the Edible Wood and Artists' Garden that were created as part of the York City Art Gallery refurbishment.

Below are some of the things that I saw whilst walking through the gardens on my way home.




Mint

Peppermint

Edible Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment