Thursday 18 June 2020

My crazy fundraising idea

I am going to be doing a sponsored walk with a

difference:

  1. to raise money for Black Lives Matter

  2. to raise money for my son Zack’s 2021 Summer trip to Kenya with Camps International

  3. in honour of my Dad who died January 25th 2020

  4. in honour of my ancestors

During lock down, my hubby bought a swimming pool for the garden. Whilst using the pool for hydrotherapy for a minor knee injury, I suddenly thought it would be a unique way to raise money. 

So here's the crazy idea - on the 25th June, I am going to jog 25 lengths of the 4-metre pool.


On the 26th June, I am going to jog an extra 8 lengths and will continue to add a further 8 lengths every day until the 25th July. This is perfect because on the 24th July I will break the 1km mark on what would have been my Mum and Dad’s Emerald (55th) wedding anniversary.


On the 25th of July, 6 months to the day after my Dad died, I will run / jog / walk 1060 metres and over the whole event, I will have jogged 17,688 metres, in memory of my Dad and his ancestors.


Here’s the back story as to why Black Lives Matter and Zack’s Camp International trip.


Picture of Viv Chamberlin-Kidd's great-great-grandfather and great-great-great grandmother
This is a picture of my Dad's (and my) ancestors.

My Great-Great-Grandfather, John Vieria is on the left with his mother in the middle. 

 It is believed that she was the first one of her family not born into slavery. However, not much else is known about them and this is only one of 2 pictures that survive of John. 
  
My Dad only heard about his Grandfather very occasionally from his Grandmother because my Nanna (Dad’s Mother) and her 12 siblings didn’t talk about their black father. They didn’t want to be ‘tarred with the same brush’ and face racial abuse. 

One of the reasons Zack was drawn to doing the Camp International trip to Kenya was because he felt the draw to Africa where these black ancestors came from. He is also going in honour of my Dad which you can read about in this York Press article.


I am also taking this opportunity to read ‘Me and White Supremacy’ by Layla F Saad, which contains 28 exercises designed to be done daily. If anyone would like to join me that would be amazing so that we can all become ‘good ancestors’ together (Layla's reason for making the 'challenge' and turning it into a book.)  


All there is to do now is:

  1. hope the weather is good as the pool is often only 14 degrees when it's cold and running in water takes longer than you think
  2. Raise money for free here when shopping online at Amazon, Ebay, Currys, etc. There is also an app to you can fundraise for free from your phone! https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/zackchamberlinkidd/
  3. Go sponsor Zack at  https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/zack-kenya-2021 
  4. Go sponsor Black Lives Matter at https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund
  5. Let me know if you donate here and I will add you to a prize draw for essential oils  
  6. Keep an eye on my FB page here for videos of me looking daft running in a 4m back garden pool


No comments:

Post a Comment